My Philosophy and the language experience approach ( Entry 7)

 My Philosophy 

In the words of Sarah Dessen, “Teaching was great for me because I got to show people how writing can really change the way you see not only yourself but the world”. As a teacher, I strongly believe that it is important for me to encourage my students to become enthusiastic about reading and writing. To set the foundation for my students, I too must have a love for reading and writing as well. To make reading and writing easy to engage in, teachers like myself must equip them with the necessary strategies that would help to promote efficiency in reading and writing. For instance, with the use of explicit teaching, teachers can show students an example of exemplar text that they can use as a guide while writing. Or, on the other hand, teachers can use the gradual release of responsibility model to facilitate students while allowing them to be independent readers and writers in the end. Additionally, teachers can engage students in a writing workshop where students can be exposed to mini-lessons on writing as well as receive individual or whole class instruction on how they can improve their writing. As an educator, I strive not only to meet the educational needs of my students but also their psychosocial needs. Children have a right to be heard, they should be able to feel free to speak to their teachers about any issues they have. I want to be the shoulder that they lean on and if they lack support, I hope to be able to provide them with the support they need. At the end of the day, it is not about me as a teacher but I strive to become a better individual for my students.


The Language Experience Approach (The Reading-Writing Connection)


According to Tompkins (2005):


Step 1: Provide an experience: A memorable event is chosen or discussed, such as one related to school, a book read aloud, a field trip, or any activity that all the kids have had before.

Step 2: Discuss the experience with the class. The teacher will use open-ended, probing, and other questions while the class discusses the experience. As they discuss their experiences, the students increase their understanding, utilize more precise vocabulary, and organize and clarify their thoughts.

Step 3: Write down the students' dictation. The teacher records the students' dictation while writing clearly and spelling correctly while attempting to keep as much of the students' natural language. Students will take turns dictating sentences, which will be written down as the teacher reads each one once it has been completed by the class.

The teacher reads the text aloud once it has been dictated, highlighting each word. Later, the kids start reading along with you. Students can then alternate rereading individually. For each pupil to have a copy of the text to read individually, texts can also be copied.

Step 5: Extend the reading and writing experience by having kids write their own texts, create sentence strips, add illustrations, underline key phrases, arrange the strips to retell the story, etc.

Step 6: Acquiring fundamental abilities in word studies like phonics, word structure analysis, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stages and six traits of writing (Entry 6)

Writing Strategies- Conferencing ( Entry 5)