Trends in Writing- Scaffolding Writing (Entry 1)

     Firstly, it is important for me as a teacher to understand the purpose of the LIT 102 course and from my understanding so far, the ideology behind this course is to engage my students in becoming writers. However, before I can engage my students to become proficient writers, I must first consider what is required of me as a teacher to assist my students in becoming successful writers. This is where the demonstration of misconceptions that teachers often have about how to teach writing is considered, as I reflect on the errors teachers often make, I can now consider possible ways of correcting those errors. 

         One may ask, how can a teacher teach writing? Scaffolding writing, a document I was recently exposed to has the scoop on that. It gave a detailed outline of 9 possible steps that teachers can utilize with their students when hosting a writer's workshop. A writer's workshop? This is just a fancy way of saying a place where students work as writers. Typically, in a writer's workshop, there is a focus lesson where the teacher teaches students strategies to develop themselves as writers, they will be able to do pair writing, peer-grouping editing if they are placed in a group, as well as writing conferences.

        Writing conferences focus on the writer's intent which is the purpose for which the writer is writing and the purpose has a lot to do with the intended audience. Then there is the writer's need. This is where the teacher focuses on aspects that the writers need to perfect their writing. Teachers would examine the writer's work and offer assistance to the writer on areas they can improve in their writing. Afterward, there is the teach the writing conference. this is where the teacher demonstrates what is required of students to make their writing great. It is important to note that the teacher may not necessarily undertake all of the following 9 stages in the writer's workshop, this depends on the students' varying needs. The teacher may be required to only focus on the area of need for his/her students.

     Another writing conference is the writer's plan. Once the teacher has offered the student(s) assistance, it is now the duty of the student(s) to interpret the information in a meaningful way and to explain to the teacher their understanding of what is needed to improve their writing. Finally, they can revise and edit their writing and share it with someone who can critique their work to ensure that it is worthy to be shared publicly. Teachers can also use visual aids (graphic organizers) to teach writing as well. 



Comments

  1. Hello! Your understanding of your course, Lit 102 is pretty clear to me. It is my hope with this course that you will be able to gain much understanding of how you can go about teaching students the art of writing. In so doing, you would be able to come back and share with us all that you have learned! Oh boy! I can't wait!

    Teaching writing is something I've never done. So, I'm genuinely looking forward to the many tips you will provide us. I'm really looking forward to following you on this amazing journey! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stages and six traits of writing (Entry 6)

Writing Strategies- Conferencing ( Entry 5)